Spinal health week
Is Your Daily Grind giving you a headache?
Headaches are becoming increasingly common and we are often guilty of taking some painkillers and ignoring the problem.
Headaches can take different forms such as migraines or tension headaches, and these can greatly impact quality of life.
Headaches can be caused by various reasons, including but not limited to, poor posture, stress, sleeping patterns and poor nutrition.
How to help decrease your headaches:
- Get enough sleep -adequate sleep is a key part of a healthy lifestyle. Getting enough sleep plays an important role in your physical, mental and emotional health.
- Fix your sleeping posture – an awkward sleeping position affects the alignment of your spine and can cause stiffness in the morning. Avoid sleeping on your stomach and try to sleep on your back instead to maintain the natural curve of the spine.
- Be mindful of your posture – whether it’s during your commute or at the office, maintaining a good posture is very important for spinal health
- Improve your nutrition – having a nutritious breakfast can make you feel good as you go about your day.
- Drive Smart – if you drive regularly, adjust your seat to make sure that you are not straining any part of your body. Move the seat closer to the steering wheel to support the curve of your back.
Chiropractic care may be able to help
Chiropractors regularly diagnose, care for and manage headaches. When you go to your local chiropractor they will perform:
A postural evaluation: to determine if your posture is contributing to the problem
Assessment of your spinal range of motion: to evaluate your spine for restriction or painful movement
Orthopaedic testing: specific tests to assess physical damage to your musculo-skeletal condition
Neurological and balance testing: to evaluate the functioning of your nervous system
They arrange for x-rays or other tests if indicated needed to help diagnose what is causing your symptoms.
Once they established what the believe is the cause of your headaches they will discuss with the treatment options available to you ans which one is the most suitable to you.
Common Conditions That Chiropractic Can Help