5 Best Low Back Exercises to do at Home
Low back exercises can help improve your spine
Do you suffer from aches and pains in your low back? Well you are not alone, almost 4 million Australians have back problems at any one time and up to 90% of people will suffer from lower back pain at some point in their lives according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics
When you suffer from low back pain it can make life difficult and everyday activities like getting out of bed, sitting at your desk or walking can become almost impossible.
Improving and maintaining the strength and flexibility of your low back and core muscles can reduce your pain.
There are many exercises that can be beneficial for your low back. We have put together our 5 favourite to get you started.
1. Knee to Chest
- Lie on the floor
- Knees bent, feet on the floor and low back relaxed
- Tighten your abdominal muscles
- Bring both knees toward your chest holding on behind or on top of your knees
- Keep your back against the floor
- You may feel a stretch through your low back or buttock
- Hold for 5 seconds and repeat 10 times
2. Trunk Rotation
- Lie on the floor, knees bent, feet on the floor
- Let your knees fall to one side hold for 5 seconds
- Gently move through both sides 10 times
3. Gluteal stretch
- Lie on the floor, knees bent, feet flat on the floor
- Place one ankle to rest on the opposite knee – if you feel a stretch through your buttock hold the stretch here for 30 seconds.
- If you don’t feel a stretch reach your hand through to behind you knee and pull toward your chest. Remember to keep you hips straight and low back against the floor.
- Hold for 30 seconds and repeat each side twice.
4. Trunk arching
- Kneel on all fours
- Arch your back up and hold for 5 seconds
- Gently move through and lower your stomach towards the ground.
- Hold here for 5 seconds and repeat the whole motion 10 times.
5. Diagonal Curl
- Lie on your back with both knees bent to 90 degrees and both feet flat on the floor
- Contract your abdominal muscles by drawing your stomach towards your spine
- Slowly sit up to 45 degrees
- Reach both arms toward one side, then the other
- Slowly lower down, keeping your abdominal muscles tightened
- Rest here for 10 seconds
- Repeat 10 times, build up to 3 sets
If you found these stretches helpful please leave us a comment below
Copyright Ansell Chiropractic ©2017