Cervical Curve Restoration
Cervical curve restoration to relieve neck pain, stiffness and headaches
This video will demonstrate some exercises and stretches that can help improve the curve in your neck. This curve can be reduced for a number of reasons, such as whiplash or forward head carriage due to work posture.
Exercise is an important component of your chiropractic treatment plan that aims to restore function to your body, especially your spine. These targeted exercises can help to restore both function and strength to your spine by improving the shape of your cervical curve.
If any of these exercises cause you any pain or discomfort, stop and consult your chiropractor.
Cervical Extension Instruction
The these exercise is a simple one to increase the extension in your neck
- Place a towel around the base of your neck
- Gently hold in place and slowly look up toward the ceiling as far as you can without pain
- Lower your neck toward your chest as far as you can without pain
- Repeat this movement slowly 10 times
Thoracic Extension Instructions
This exercise increases mid back flexibility, stretches through your chest and extends your neck.
- Lie on the floor
- Roll up a towel* and place it along your spine to the base of your neck let your arms rest out to each side and head rest back.
- Hold for the time recommended by your chiropractor
*generally rolling a towel at the short edge is best but if it is uncomfortable try it with a few different thicknesses until you find one that is comfortable and provides a stretch
Chin Tuck instruction
This exercise is to strengthen the deep muscles of your neck
- Ensure that you are sitting up straight,
- Tuck your chin in without allowing your head to tilt forward or backwards.
- Hold for 10 sec and repeat 10 times you may need to build up slowly.
- If you find it difficult to do try lying down with a pillow at the base of your skull