Upper and Mid Back Flexibility Exercises
How to improve the flexibility of your Thoracic Spine
Mid back flexibility exercises are designed to improve your movement and flexibility in your upper and middle back. Mid back problems can contribute to low back pain, neck pain and headaches especially when combined with incorrect posture. Only perform these exercises when instructed to by your chiropractor as part of your overall chiropractic treatment program.
If any of these exercises cause you any pain or discomfort, stop and consult your chiropractor.
Thoracic Extension Instructions
- Stand with your feet against a wall
- Flatten your low back against the wall
- Lift your arms above your head
- hold for 1 breath and bring back down
- Repeat this 10 times
Thoracic Extension Towel Instructions
- Lie on the floor
- Roll up a towel* and place it along your spine to the base of your neck let your arms rest out to each side and head rest back.
- Hold for the time recommended by your chiropractor
- Rest your arms out to the side
- Stretch as long as recommended by your chiropractor
*generally rolling a towel at the short edge is best but if it is uncomfortable try it with a few different thicknesses until you find one that is comfortable and provides a stretch
Thoracic Stretch Instructions
- Sit on the floor with both legs out in front hands on thighs
- Knees can be bent to lessen the strain on the hamstrings.
- Flex your neck and lean forward
- hold for 2 breaths and repeat 5 times
- In the same position move one shoulder to the opposite knee
- at the same time lift the opposite shoulder
- hold for 2 breaths and repeat on each side 5 times
Pectoralis muscle Stretch Instructions
- Place your forearm against a wall or door frame with your elbow at shoulder height.
- Step forward until you feel a stretch through your chest (don’t just lean forward as this places stress on your shoulder joint)
- Hold for 30 seconds on each side
- To target other parts of your pec muscles raise or lower your arm and hold for another 30 seconds